Rear End of Corvette Vagabond locks up

Svar [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Sted: Maine U S A
Kontakt:

Rear End of Corvette Vagabond locks up

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons des 31, 2014 04:13

Hi, took my son for little ride in car to feel thump in rear or drive train. Let him drive down driveway, he goosed the gas , bad idea ...

Something let go in drive train. Stopped car, no drive shafts hanging, but...

Car will only go forward or backward one revolution of wheel then stops. It will do it in all 4 gears forward and reverse.

Called flatbed, to get car back to my garage.

It seems that the rear let go....

I get the car up on jack stands.... time for rear end removal/ strut rods bushing, body mounts, tranny removal, and if possible crossmember , later after rear removal..plus a lot of stuff that is showing wear after 60,000 miles in the last three years.

I will ask for help after the weekend , just to make sure I take it apart in the right order....

It will be a real job to do on jack stands....I may offer some Lobsters for lunch as a reward for coming up to Maine to get the tranny off my chest or to help pry the crossmember off the frame...

Pictures later.....Son leaving Sunday, for new job in Seattle at Amazon as a robotics engineer...

Thanks in advance for you kindness and understanding , and supporting me as I cry under the car.......should be quite interesting...

Jack

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Replacement parts mine and the cars

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons des 31, 2014 04:14

Hi to all my wonderful friends out there in Corvette Land

I would love to have some one do the repairs, but I thought this would be a good time to have all the forum members come along for the ride. A lift would make it much easier, but that is not going to happen.

Today I turn the heat on in the garage, set the stage for major surgery, take photos for the before and as I do each step.

If I get into trouble , I will call for help, mostly , it is good to have an extra set of hands, if not just to drag me out from under the car.

It will also be a testament to modern Human Replacement Parts.

I have both hips and knees that have new joints, both wrists and ankles have been worked on and lets not even talk about my shoulders.

If I can drive Thousands of miles, fix my car, go to the gym, then so can many of you out there who may be putting off such work.

Give yourself a life.....if you need it, get it done...

Pictures to follow later today ....waiting for the garage to warm up..

Jack
Jackfit is online now Report Post

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 1 The Great Journey Begins

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons des 31, 2014 04:15

So it begins...Day 1

I started today working on the car. Turned on heater in garage, keeps it about 50* if outside is below 32* and warmer if above.

First goal was to jack up car to view damage if possible

Next remove mufflers
Next to remove half shafts

Time 3 hours . One problem was not being able to rotate wheels more than 1 / 4 turn. That made unbolting haft shafts difficult because of small turns of wrench at odd angles on u-joint nuts.

There is little doubt that my rear end is dead.....

Now what to do next. Carrier bolts from cross member will never come out. It will be very difficult to unbolt the rear from carrier as there is no room to get at top bolts.

My sombreros are shot (48 years old) the only way I will get the rear out of the car is to take off the cross member with the rear end.

All the components (Strut rods bushing shot) , springs, drive shaft, have to be take off to drop the rear.

I am on my back doing this. Any suggestion on my next days work will be welcome. I am soaking all in penetrating oil .

Here some pictures of today's work

Car is ready

Bilde

Getting ready

Bilde

Up it goes and I hope not down on me

Bilde

Stable I hope

Bilde

Wheels off for room, but had to put them back on to rotate wheel

Bilde

Haft Shafts Off ...one little turn at a time because or lock up of rear

Bilde

This is the view - what to take off first ?

Bilde

End of the day

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 2 The Great Journey Begins

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons des 31, 2014 04:16

Day 2

Hello and good Evening to all. 8:30 pm

I put in 3 1/2 hours or work today and quit around 2:30 pm . I had to stop because of lack of a shock knocker, ( found one tonight) and it was time to stand up.

Goals for today:

Take off rear spring without killing myself
Take off Strut bracket and rods ,
Need shock knocker to remove strut rod from spindle arm
and bracket

I was able to remove rear spring using a simple method of two jacks, one to hold trailing arm and one to compress spring in order to release tension on bolts.

I was also able to remove strut bracket , but had to leave in place until I can remove rods from spindle with shock knocker.

Once strut bracket is removed, I will remove snubber bushing , disconnect drive shaft and make decision on cross member removal/carrier removal to take out rear.

Here are the pictures

Support of spring / TA , jack is holding up shock mount not rotor

Bilde

Unbolting nut by compressing spring with jack

Bilde

Lower spring jack and down comes spring freeing bolt

Bilde

Bolt free of spring and can now be pushed up and out

Bilde

Spring can now be unbolted from carrier

Bilde

Spring can now be removed

Bilde

Shocks are freed from spindle , but left bolted on top

Bilde

Rear End now free , ready for next days work , once strut bracket is removed when rods are free of shock mounts.

Bilde

Parts on the floor, good 2 days work (7 hours slow me ) without any broken bolts !

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 3 The Great Journey Begins

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor jan 01, 2015 02:53

Day 3 "The Great Journey moving along"

Happy New Year to one and all !

Garage on got to 48* today, not bad, since it was 18* when I turned the heat on. Started at 4 PM , lots of other errands to do.

Stopped at 6 pm about 2 hours work today. After all it is NYE.

Today the goal was to remove the strut rod bracket intact. The rods are attached to the TA and the strut mount must be knocked out of the TA in order to release rod from spindle assembly.

I had also hoped to remove the snub bushing which would have allowed me to disconnect the drive shaft. That was not to happen , ran out of time and I could not figure out how to attach a wrench to the bolt that hold the snub bushing, The nut is easy to get to, but without locking the top of bolt , it will just spin.

I will just crack nut or cut it of and pull down snub bracket. Disconnect drive shaft and then the FUN Begins. See that Crow Bar, Soon we do the " Sombrero Dance"

Cheers Jack

We may need this soon !

Bilde

Home made "Shock Knocker "

Bilde

Punch to finish job after heat and a few hard whacks with a hammer

Bilde

Rod now free of spindle assembly

Bilde

High Tech Tools Shock Mount is out and looks a little bent after 48 years

Bilde

Strut Bracket Intact and free of rear and spindle

Bilde

Day 3 Parts Collection

Bilde

The "Sombrero Dance " Tomorrow if I can move....

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 4 The Great Journey Begins

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor jan 01, 2015 18:34

[QUOTE=JohnZ;1588592114]Here's another link to the "Sombrero" article:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_inf ... oDance.pdf

:thumbs:[/QUOTE]
Thank you, John and Happy New Years

Day 4 11:15 am New Years Day

The "Sombrero Dance " Today ...I hope the nuts turn ! I read the article , my pry bar is not Super Charged as in the article....lol

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_inf ... oDance.pdf

Bilde

I will be back with update & pictures in a few hours :cheers:

Jack

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 4 The Great Journey Begins Happy New Year

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor jan 01, 2015 23:08

Day 4 of " The Great Journey " Rear End / Sombrero Removal

Happy New Years to All :woohoo:

Today's Goal was to finish the job of removing the rear end from the car. 2 hours time 1 hour work 1 hour crawl time ...lol

I needed to remove the cross member which requires the removal of the Sombrero Bushings / Nuts the hold cross member to frame. After 48 years of driving in the North East on salted roads and 300,000 miles , you would think all the nuts, bolts and rust would cause a great deal of problems.

Well , not one bolt or nut broke so far. The cross member to my disappointment , did not pop off. The bolts came right out

( I left them in when prying)

The cross member just came off with gentle pressure of the pry bar.

The most difficult part was getting the u-joint nuts off . The rear is locked up and you can not rotate the drive shaft. After dropping the rear down with cross member , I was able to do each nut .

The snuber bracket bushing was difficult because it is hard to put a wrench on the top bolt while you undo the bottom nut.

Tomorrow I will take the rear off the carrier and see what is left of the insides....

The job took 2 hours today 1 hour of work and 1 hour of crawl time on my back. It has taken me about 10-12 hours to get to this stage .

With a lift that time would be about 3-4 hours . Stay tuned for the opening of the rear tomorrow !

What I would like to be able to do later

Bilde

Gentle prying , cross member came right off - bolts came right out

Bilde

Cross member now free - both sides came off - no problems

Bilde

Rear supported by jack as work on drive shaft u-joints

Bilde

Rear End / Cross member now free of car in dolly

Bilde

Sombreros after 48 years !

Bilde

Bilde

Rear End at Rest

Bilde

Day 4 Parts Collection

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 5 The Great Journey Begins Happy New Year

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » fre jan 02, 2015 19:21

Day 5 " The Great Journey " Oh my God ! Look at that !

Goals for today : Remove rear from cross-member and open rear end to see what happen to it.

A lesson to be learned. I have been driving this car for almost 300,000 miles in the North East and just about everywhere else. Winter and Summer , salt and rain. And not one bolt was rusted in or broke trying to take it out.

It is sitting for years that rust these cars. Cars that are driven may get surface rust, but it seems the heat and oil must perserve the parts in some way. Sure , they wear out, but I never thought in a million years that the bolts would come out of the rear carrier. But I used a little heat and also used a bolt-out socket by Irwin Tools. It cuts into bolt or nut will take out rounded parts.

I thought it best to use it first before a regular socket. I big breaker bar and very slow turning and out came all the bolts on the cross-member and rear carrier.

Once the cover was off, it was very apparent what happen as you can see. The drive pinion gear was able to move backward into the Posi unit. The ring gear looks OK ....Posi not so good....

Comments are welcome. Any 3:36 posi rears not being used ?

Heating up the cross member bolts. I used a big breaker bar and Irwin Socket (nut / bolt extractor socket) first before I even tried a regular socket

Bilde

Bolts that I though would never come out , came out

Bilde

Cover ready to be taken off , what will we find ?

Bilde

Not very pretty

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Day 5 Parts Collection

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 6 The Great Journey

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn jan 04, 2015 00:40

Hello, Bonjour, and Good Afternoon,

Day 6 I thought you would be tired of looking at my car's rear end.

Picture taken in Nice, France on Corvette Vagabond 's European Tour.
Well I found the problem. Failed bearing of pinion gear or Posi Unit its self. The pinion gear was able to move forward hitting Posi causing damage and pieces breaking off.

The fact that I was only going 10 mph saved my car from extensive damage had it let go at 70 mph. Nothing left to do but replace the unit. I will be looking to put a 3:36 in instead of the current 3:70 which is more inline with my high speed driving on highways in the US and Europe.

Thanks for coming along. I will keep you posted on further work on car as I put it back together.

If you would like to see more photos , please like the https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteVagabond page and enjoy or

https://www.corvettevagabond.com for many stories and car collections.

New Units

Bilde

Table

Bilde

Patient

Bilde

Taking out bolts caps off but that will not help take out Posi

Bilde

Pieces of Posi

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Time to replace the unit, here is bearing difficult to see but a mess

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

As the Bounty Hunter once said in the "Chronicles of Ridic"

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn jan 04, 2015 00:41

I should have listen an "Taken the Money"

I should have listen and taken out the rear ...sooner......:cheers:

Jack

Svar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable