Hello to the Corvette Club Norway

Svar
Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Sted: Maine U S A
Kontakt:

Its has been 49 years since a Pro has touched my shafts..!

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tir apr 21, 2015 03:12

Last time was at the factory 49 years ago. I have sent off my drive shaft and half shafts for a professional balance and u-joints replacement. the drive shaft will be balanced with a new slip yoke that is needed. The old one had 300,000 miles on it ....

This is a local shop that deals with a lot of construction equipment and truck shafts. Shops are getting harder to find now.

Bilde

Look at the size of the shaft next to my little guys

Bilde

Update on car restoration....yes...it seems like it is turning into a restoration from just a stuck transmission plug.

Ed Johnson had donated a 78 rear with the good Eaton Posi unit (it will be ) to me and I have just shipped it off to Gary Ramadei, who many know of for his rear end, TA and steering box rebuilding skills.

He is going to tune it, replace the clutches with metal ones, and put in 3:36 gears instead of the current 3;70. With my wide ratio Muncie , the car will be back to original gearing that I changed out in 1972 ish....

On the way to Gary Ramadei

Bilde

When done, I will have replaced all rear suspension rubber bushings, strut rods , spring bushing, shaft balancing/joints, body mounts and bushings and maybe the throw out bearing ...mufflers and pipes...lets see...did I miss something.......

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Corvette KOs Owner !

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor apr 23, 2015 17:22

I had fun taking out my Muncie , I should have ducked , wrench fell, I moved to fast and forgot that I had no head room....

But it is out.....took about 2 hours no real problems , just lowered engine , as I moved tranny straight back, then raised engine and tranny fell forward and out...

Will replace throw out bearing (65,000 miles) last four years, and rear seal and bearing, to go with new slip yoke.

Bilde

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Rear End Rebuild

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor apr 23, 2015 18:14

Update on rear end and suspension rebuild..

Gary Ramadei is rebuilding the 78 rear end that Ed Johnson donated to the project. Here are some pictures of his inspection and comments.

"Looks like this came out of a 79 vette. The gear date is Aug 1978, maybe it made it into a later 78? Doesn't matter the 78 & 79's were ok but did have some areas that were weak. The clutches, ring gear bolts, and axles were bad and this one is typical as it has all those bad parts. They are not going to be reused though, I will use the best parts and that will make a difference. The axles had 065-070 endplay and were mushroomed over. These are just good for cores now. There were no broken snowflake clutches so that means this diff wasn't beat on much, otherwise they would be broken. The ring gear bolts used from 77-79 were junk. They stopped using lock washers and the bolts didn't have the shoulders like the older ones did. I will use ARP bolts, you can see them next to each other in the pictures."

d

Here are some pictures of rear inspection

Parts not being used.....

Bilde

Disassemble rear

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

I will post next the pictures of the posi unit being polished

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Posi Case Update Ring Bolts

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » fre apr 24, 2015 19:57

We are reworking a 78 Corvette Rear from 3:70 to 3:36 , plus tuning it.

Gary is doing the rebuild and here is a quote from him on bolts that attach the Ring gear.

"Here I countersunk the posi case ring gear holes. You see in picture#1 that the holes are square edged and the stock bolts work with that but not the ARP's. The ARP's have a larger radius under the head for more strength and have the shoulder on them like the old GM bolts did. Somewhere around 1977 they changed to the bolts that were in here before, shorter, no shoulder, and not loctited in place. Not good, many backed out in use sometimes within the factory warranty period. QC with the late 70's vettes wasn't as good as the earlier cars but that is probably the case with most lines of the period."

Stock bolts vs ARP's Stock on right

Bilde

Bilde

Before milling notice flat surface

Bilde

Counter sink

Bilde

Cut

Bilde

Polish

Bilde

Perfect fit

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Posi Case being assembled

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » lør apr 25, 2015 02:38

Gary is now assembling the posi unit after polishing.

Here is his commentary on the process.

Here I radiused the spider teeth to prepare to tune them. I used new solid steel clutches, new cross shaft, retainers, and washers. Next up the tuning process starts. Unlike a stock posi, where the spider lash is set between 002-008" and then the plates and springs are stuffed in there, I will set the posi up to a balanced, much more precise unit then any stock or rebuilt vette posi. where it is now I could just use the springs but it really works better to put the time and machine work in to tune them.

Pictures Parts laid out

Bilde

Cross shaft and steel clutches

Bilde

Bilde

Radius Spider Teeth

Bilde

Bilde

Ready to Tune

Bilde

Next series will be the tuning

Jack

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Preparing Exterior of Case

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn apr 26, 2015 20:09

Continuing the rebuild, we are now preparing the case . It must be cleaned both inside and out. Here are comments from Gary on this procedure.

"Here I worked on the housing, cover and pinion yoke. I finished blasting them to bare iron. Now most places will just shoot a cheap top coat of paint and call it done. I never liked that since once the car is in use that paint isn't going to last as long as it should. So I blast the parts to bare iron. Then Etch them for 30 minutes, rinse, blow dry, flame dry, cool, POR15 and then when just right shoot the top coat to mix with the POR15 and harden together. I'm waiting for the POR15 to setup now to shoot the top coat. Then I'm going home to fire up my 72 vette for a weekend ride!
"

Blasting first

Bilde

Etching

Bilde

Bilde

Flame Dry

Bilde

POR 15 Base coat

Bilde

Final Coat

Bilde

Bilde

Interior Case Prep Next

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Installing the 3:36 Gears

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn apr 26, 2015 20:29

We are now installing the gears after countersinking bolt holes and using new bolts. Gary's comments:

"Once I had the posi were I wanted it, I stoned the back of the new USA 336 ring gear and the posi flange. Then I cleaned the new ARP's in Acetone, same with the RG holes. I use alignment studs to keep the ring gear in place since it is a press fit on the case OD. I use #271 red on the ARP bolts, torque them and then check for full seating of the bolt and the ring gear. I'll let the Loctite set up at least 24 hours before applying any load to them."

Clean Bolts in Acetone

Bilde

Tom's US Gear 3:36 to replace 3:70

Bilde

Bilde

Stone surfaces

Bilde

Alignment Bolts

Bilde

Torque Bolts

Bilde

Bilde

Check Fit

Bilde

All Set Up

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Preparing Interior of Case

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn apr 26, 2015 21:09

We are now working the inside of the case prior to installing gears and posi unit. Gary's comments:

"Hi Jack
Here I final prepped the housing. You can see there in the ready pictures the inside didn't look so good after etching and rinsing. It was really only minor surface rust but I cleaned it up good with a wire wheel.
The holes were all chased. The pad holes were bottom tapped and countersunk, this means a bottom tap was used to cut new threads to the bottom of the holes. The factory used a starter or plug tap and the bottom threads don't always get a full tap. The bolt may not fully engage the threads so I know now the hole is fully threaded beyond the length of the bolt. The reason to countersink the holes is to cut the lead- in thread to prevent it from pulling when the bolt is torqued. The same process used on head bolt holes. All the oil passage were brush, washed, and blown clean with compressed air."

Rusting Before picture

Bilde

Wire Bush

Bilde

Bilde

Chase holes

Bilde

Bilde

Radius Edges

Bilde

Bilde

Cleaning bores

Bilde

Cleaned and ready to go

Bilde

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Putting in drain plug

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn apr 26, 2015 21:24

We are putting in a drain plug which will make changing oil a 5 minute job. Gary's comments:

"Here I tapped the drain plug hole and fit the plug. With new gears you will have to heat cycle them the first 10 drives you make. Drive 25-30 minutes, no racing, get the diff hot. Stop and let it cool at least 1 hour. At 500 miles you drain the oil and add fresh. With this drain plug it will be a 10 minute job, just jack up the RR of the car , pull the wheel off, put your drain pan under the plug, remove the fill plug with a long extension and 5/8" 8 pt socket and drain the oil. Clean off the fines on the plug, put a little #2 permatex on the plug and snug it up. Add posi additive and pump in Lucas 85-140 gear oil, should take just under 2 qts. Seal plug and install- done."

Tap hole

Bilde

Fit Magnetic Plug

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Installed

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Bearing Install

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn apr 26, 2015 22:06

We are now installing the pinion bearing. Gary's comments:

"Here I installed the new USA Timken pinion races in the housing"

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Checking work

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Tail shaft bearing removal

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tir mai 05, 2015 04:14

I had removed the transmission last week to both adjust the linkage and to replace the rear seal and bearing. I did not want to take the case apart and in one of the recent posts, John Z mention a tool that would allow you to change the seal and rear bearing while the tranny was still in the car. I located the tool on E-bay and although my tranny is out of the car, I left the shift on to show it can be done .

My old slip yoke had 300,000 miles on it and it shows it.

Bilde

My new slip yoke and balanced drive shaft

Bilde

The tool to extract the rear bearing , with seal removed

Bilde

Close up of tool

Bilde

Rear Bearing , the tool slides in just like a yoke

Bilde

I use a hose clamp to compress flanges of tool , edges grab bearing

Bilde

Use wrench to extract bearing , bolt pushes on tail shaft , pulling bearing

Bilde

Bearing pulled out

Bilde

Bilde

Can be done with tranny in car and not taken apart

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Run out of Posi Unit

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tir mai 05, 2015 04:49

Gary Ramadei is putting the final touches on the rear end he is building for me. He discovered excess run out in the posi unit. Here are his comments and process to reduce run out to his specs.

Hi Jack,
So as I mentioned yesterday there was a wide range of lash in the setup. I wanted to see if it was in the gears or the posi case. I removed the ring gear from the posi and checked the bare posi in the housing. I checked a few places; the posi flange where the RG mounts, the case OD where the RG ID is press fit, and the flange OD. I found the case OD was good with only 001" or less runout in it but the flange had 006" runout and the flange OD had 008". The flange OD doesn't matter but the case OD & face do. I set the posi up in the lathe using a small 4 jaw chuck to dial in case OD as my reference. I dialed the case OD to less then 001" and rechecked the flange run out in the lathe and it was out 006". I faced the flange 005 in small passes and turned the flange OD. In the lathe they were both 0 but I knew it would open up in the housing because it will be referenced off the case bearings.

"I found the caps were loose on the bearing races and set them up to 001" gap. Then I installed the bare case and found the flange runout 002 which is good. The case OD is still 001 and the Flange OD is under 001". I was able to keep the case bearings installed without issue. The lash is now within 002-003 compared to 006 before. I couldn't do a pattern test because I have to let the Loctite setup on the RG bolts again. Next up I will check the pattern to see how it looks. I did radius the edges of the teeth on the RG, this is an old blueprinting trick.

I will see how the pattern looks on Monday."

This video is an example of what he did to my unit. Just click on it

1963 Chevrolet Biscayne Positraction Differential Overhaul - Part 3.1 - Repaired - YouTube

Pictures

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

On milling machine

Bilde

Caps

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Rear End Installation

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » man mai 25, 2015 22:12

Well I celebrated Memorial Day Weekend with a little car work. I now have all the parts ready for installation .

Bilde

Bilde

The first thing I have to ask is , Why did I think I could do this ?

Bilde

Next I had to get the transmission back in . Replaced the throw-out bearing, rear bearing and seal. Never easy...I finally resorted to the push the tail over the cross member, roll the tranny on to my chest, and do a push up with it . It went up and in. No problems but a lot of back and blue marks on my arms and body.

Bilde

Drive shaft hooked up with new slip yoke

Bilde

Using a jack, I lifted up the rear with cross member and bolted it to frame

Bilde

Next the haft shafts...using jacks to lift the TA up to level to install HS

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Next up the strut rods and spring later in the week, waiting for parts

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

My rear end is back in the seat again!

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons jun 03, 2015 02:58

My rear End is in the seat once again......The first ride of 2015.
After 6 months of restoration , the car held together for a 20 minute ride to start the break in of the newly rebuilt rear end, transmission and suspension..
I did the removal and installation with the car on jack stands.
I do not recommend this method , but like many of us, I had no choice..,,,,,,,.

I have to go now....time for another 20 minute ride....

If you click on the link you will see the video of my first ride, looks better on computer then Iphone , speakers for sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUH1jXM ... Ow&index=1

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

The Car is Packed and Corvettes at Carlisle Awaits

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor jul 16, 2015 13:04

The Car is Packed and Carlisle awaits ! I am planning to attend Corvettes at Carlisle this August 27-30, 2015. I plan to be on the road for about 14 days. ( August 14th to Sept 1) [/B .

Even though I have owned my car for 45 years, I have never been to Carlisle. I hope to have a mini reunion with many of my hosts from the 48 State Tour. Let me know if you are going !

]If you have owned your corvette for 30 or more years, I would like to stop by and add you to my research on long time Corvette Owners.

The map shows the general route (not roads yet) I am taking, PM me with your town and I will put it on the map. Once the map has enough dots on it.

I will plan the actual route. More information to come as I add details and dates of travel. I used this method to travel to all 48 states, and Europe to document these cars and owners. I will be posting to 9 US and European Corvette Forums as well as Facebook. Here are is a link to my web page with details . of my trips to Europe and NCRS National Convention.

http://www.corvettevagabond.com

Map link- Just click on it. PM with your town and I will put your town on the map . The route shown is just a general direction. Actual roads traveled later. ( I will not post your address , just town)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=e ... QFfkdm4LN8

Bilde

Svar