Svar
Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Sted: Maine U S A
Kontakt:

Day 1 The Great Journey Begins

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons des 31, 2014 04:21

Hello and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my Norwegian friends. I have been on Facebook quite a bit and now am returning to the forums. I have posted my lasted adventure in the C-2 section . Here is the link.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7282

Here is one post to get your interest

Day 2

Hello and good Evening to all. 8:30 pm

I put in 3 1/2 hours or work today and quit around 2:30 pm . I had to stop because of lack of a shock knocker, ( found one tonight) and it was time to stand up.

Goals for today:

Take off rear spring without killing myself
Take off Strut bracket and rods ,
Need shock knocker to remove strut rod from spindle arm
and bracket

I was able to remove rear spring using a simple method of two jacks, one to hold trailing arm and one to compress spring in order to release tension on bolts.

I was also able to remove strut bracket , but had to leave in place until I can remove rods from spindle with shock knocker.

Once strut bracket is removed, I will remove snubber bushing , disconnect drive shaft and make decision on cross member removal/carrier removal to take out rear.

Here are the pictures

Support of spring / TA , jack is holding up shock mount not rotor

Bilde

Unbolting nut by compressing spring with jack

Bilde

Lower spring jack and down comes spring freeing bolt

Bilde

Bolt free of spring and can now be pushed up and out

Bilde

Spring can now be unbolted from carrier

Bilde

Spring can now be removed

Bilde

Shocks are freed from spindle , but left bolted on top

Bilde

Rear End now free , ready for next days work , once strut bracket is removed when rods are free of shock mounts.

Bilde

Parts on the floor, good 2 days work (7 hours slow me ) without any broken bolts !

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 3 The Great Journey Begins

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor jan 01, 2015 02:53

Day 3 "The Great Journey moving along"

Happy New Year to one and all !

Garage on got to 48* today, not bad, since it was 18* when I turned the heat on. Started at 4 PM , lots of other errands to do.

Stopped at 6 pm about 2 hours work today. After all it is NYE.

Today the goal was to remove the strut rod bracket intact. The rods are attached to the TA and the strut mount must be knocked out of the TA in order to release rod from spindle assembly.

I had also hoped to remove the snub bushing which would have allowed me to disconnect the drive shaft. That was not to happen , ran out of time and I could not figure out how to attach a wrench to the bolt that hold the snub bushing, The nut is easy to get to, but without locking the top of bolt , it will just spin.

I will just crack nut or cut it of and pull down snub bracket. Disconnect drive shaft and then the FUN Begins. See that Crow Bar, Soon we do the " Sombrero Dance"

Cheers Jack

We may need this soon !

Bilde

Home made "Shock Knocker "

Bilde

Punch to finish job after heat and a few hard whacks with a hammer

Bilde

Rod now free of spindle assembly

Bilde

High Tech Tools Shock Mount is out and looks a little bent after 48 years

Bilde

Strut Bracket Intact and free of rear and spindle

Bilde

Day 3 Parts Collection

Bilde

The "Sombrero Dance " Tomorrow if I can move....

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 4 The Great Journey Begins Happy New Year

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor jan 01, 2015 23:09

Day 4 of " The Great Journey " Rear End / Sombrero Removal

Happy New Years to All :woohoo:

Today's Goal was to finish the job of removing the rear end from the car. 2 hours time 1 hour work 1 hour crawl time ...lol

I needed to remove the cross member which requires the removal of the Sombrero Bushings / Nuts the hold cross member to frame. After 48 years of driving in the North East on salted roads and 300,000 miles , you would think all the nuts, bolts and rust would cause a great deal of problems.

Well , not one bolt or nut broke so far. The cross member to my disappointment , did not pop off. The bolts came right out

( I left them in when prying)

The cross member just came off with gentle pressure of the pry bar.

The most difficult part was getting the u-joint nuts off . The rear is locked up and you can not rotate the drive shaft. After dropping the rear down with cross member , I was able to do each nut .

The snuber bracket bushing was difficult because it is hard to put a wrench on the top bolt while you undo the bottom nut.

Tomorrow I will take the rear off the carrier and see what is left of the insides....

The job took 2 hours today 1 hour of work and 1 hour of crawl time on my back. It has taken me about 10-12 hours to get to this stage .

With a lift that time would be about 3-4 hours . Stay tuned for the opening of the rear tomorrow !

What I would like to be able to do later

Bilde

Gentle prying , cross member came right off - bolts came right out

Bilde

Cross member now free - both sides came off - no problems

Bilde

Rear supported by jack as work on drive shaft u-joints

Bilde

Rear End / Cross member now free of car in dolly

Bilde

Sombreros after 48 years !

Bilde

Bilde

Rear End at Rest

Bilde

Day 4 Parts Collection

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Day 6 The Great Journey

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » lør jan 03, 2015 23:07

Hello, Bonjour, and Good Afternoon,guten Abend , and hyvää iltaa

Day 6 I thought you would be tired of looking at my car's rear end.

Picture taken in Nice, France on Corvette Vagabond 's European Tour.
Well I found the problem. Failed bearing of pinion gear or Posi Unit its self. The pinion gear was able to move forward hitting Posi causing damage and pieces breaking off.

The fact that I was only going 10 mph saved my car from extensive damage had it let go at 70 mph. Nothing left to do but replace the unit. I will be looking to put a 3:36 in instead of the current 3:70 which is more inline with my high speed driving on highways in the US and Europe.

Thanks for coming along. I will keep you posted on further work on car as I put it back together.

If you would like to see more photos , please like the https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteVagabond page and enjoy or

https://www.corvettevagabond.com for many stories and car collections.

New Units

Bilde

Table

Bilde

Patient

Bilde

Taking out bolts caps off but that will not help take out Posi

Bilde

Pieces of Posi

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Time to replace the unit, here is bearing difficult to see but a mess

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

As the Bounty Hunter once said in the "Chronicles of Ridic"

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » søn jan 04, 2015 00:38

I should have listen an "Taken the Money"

I should have listen and taken out the rear ...sooner......:cheers:

Jack

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Update 2015 Restoration

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » man mar 16, 2015 01:59

Gary Ramadei is working on the rear end and I should have it by late April. (Great Rear End Man) lol

What started as a stuck plug has changed into a Under body restoration.

First the plug would not come out, then the rear end blew, and before you know it project creep.

Well I finally got the plug out. I had to remove the welded muffler pipe and header pipe, and after many failed attempts, I used an Irwin stripped bolt remover socket. I heated the plug, I put penetrate on it, I froze it.

I had to remove the pipe to be able to hammer on the socket, once on, I could use the long ratchet to remove it. Out it came see photos.

The #4 body mount bolt is the one that has me working hard.

Got the parts out of car

Bilde

Car ready for additional work

Bilde

Seats have to go

Bilde

Bilde

Here I go..and it came out

Bilde

See the plug and socket

Bilde

Bilde

Now fun with # 4 body mount

Bilde

Bilde

Cleaned up a bit

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

# 4 mount

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » ons mar 18, 2015 04:20

Hello to all,

We left off with the bolts soaking and all the rubber peeled away on # 4 mount.

I went out this afternoon to soak the bolts again and while there I picked a bit at the bushing sleeve and bolt.

I decided to give the bolt a little bit of a turn. The result, the bolt came out with the nut . The nut capture cage is not rusted , but the frame mount and and mount reinforcement was rusted, one turn and out it popped.

I will let you all give me advice on what to do next. I do not weld !

Mount with rubber still on it

Bilde

Bolt and nut with bushing sleeve

Bilde

Frame mount and nut cage

Bilde

Side view

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

You need the proper dress to work on Corvettes

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » fre mar 20, 2015 12:55

I went out to the garage , forgot to change my clothes, I was just going to spray a little more penetrate on the bolt holding the reinforcement plate.

Well I could not resist putting a ratchet to the bolt. I forgot to take the deck off and just reached in . It took a while to get the right extractor socket on the bolt . 9/16 to big , 1/2 to small. You must be able to hammer the socket on to really get them to work.

After 10 minutes, I put my big wrench to it. The one that I am always told not use. Well one click at a time the bolt came out. It took about 20 minutes to get it out, not hard , just one little click because of the tight space.

I was them able to remove the rusted mount reinforcement plate . Once removed , I will be able to put a small piece of fiberglass over the hole to hold the nut in the cage. The cage was not rusted . The new reinforcement plate for the # 4 mount will secure the bushing to the body.

I will then be able to fabricate a retaining plate for the # 4 frame mount which had a rusted out hole. The mount is good. I will get the plate welded to the mount once I have the car on the road.

I was very fortunate to not have a rusted out deck hinge area. All the rust was in the wheel well, except for the retainer bolt. It was only a few inches away from the rusted bushing.....

Here are the photos

Ratchet in place with a little hammer to hit socket on to bolt

Bilde

View of position of extraction

Bilde

The rusted plate # 4

Bilde

49 year old bolt with very little rust

Bilde

The old bushing and plate

Bilde

# 4 mount after clean up

Bilde

Close up of nut and cage - rivets still holding it in with very little rust

Bilde

View from below of mount

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Restoration 2015

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » man mar 23, 2015 03:39

As you all know, this started out as a stuck plug on my tranny. Well the rear end blew and I got a chance to take the rear down to Gary Ramadei, in New Haven CT. He is one of the best re-builders in the country.

He did my steering box and now the rear.

Here are the photos of Gary at work doing a preliminary inspection of my rear. As you know, it was a mess after blowing up a few months ago.

The posi unit would not come out even with the side yokes removed. Gary will use a case spreader later in week to spread the side walls of case so that the bearings and posi can be removed. We tried with a pry bar but could only get it half way out.

I will have follow up photos as Gary sends them to me next week.

The end result will be a rear that will go from 3:70 back to the original 3:36 that the car was born with.

The arrival

Bilde

Proper mounting needed to work on rear

Bilde

Cover is off and that look is not good !

Bilde

You expect me to fix this ?

Bilde

Bilde

Oh my ! what do we have here ?

Bilde

Need a big wrench to turn the unit to get at snap rings

Bilde

Got them off after a bit of work

Bilde

Pry Bar did not work

Bilde

Needed a big hammer to get the side yokes to come out, usually they side right out but the case is a little twinkled

Bilde

Side yokes removed

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Here is a real burn out

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » lør mar 28, 2015 18:35

Gary Ramadei has been working on my rear end. In my other post he is trying to remove the posi unit from the case but it will not come out because the case was spread and distorted by the explosion of the posi unit after 300,000 miles.

He took a torch to the posi to remove it , to see if the case would be usable to rebuild. It was not.....

Enjoy the pictures.....he will replace the whole rear end for me and then tune it.

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Great info on c-2 c-3 differentails

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » man mar 30, 2015 00:41

Hi Gang, as you know by the posts, my rear end let go. Gary Ramadei, who is one of the best re-builders you can find posted this information on my NCRS forum post. I thought I would re-post it because it will help explain what happened.

Ed Johnson , a NCRS member and friend has donated a 78 rear end to be used as base carrier and case for Gary to work on.

I hope this info helps some of the new and old members .

Hi Jack, Ed, Guys
Some information for you on Jack's diff issue and 63-79 vette diff's in general.

Jack had a 1968 complete differential in his '66 for the past 45 years. The '65-68's used the 1st design Eaton Posi case in place of the Dana posi used in 63-64. Keep in mind posi was optional until 1970 so there are some open differentials out there still. They were stronger then the Dana posi and I think equal to the Eaton 1st design.

The Eaton 1st design can be ID'd by looking at the case, they have what I call the "postage stamp" window in them. They were a parallel seam casting and this design was prone to cracking at the seam to large window opening. This casting are rough with sharp edges that are stress risers and with abuse or time the cracks form. Once a crack is started then it's a time bomb. Weld or drill repair does not work out well once a crack is there, the only solution is to replace the posi case with the better 2nd design Eaton case used from 1969 -1979 and still sold in the aftermarket today. The 2nd design can be ID'd again by the window, in this case a larger "tear-drop" window. These have a single staggered tooth seam and are much less prone to cracking but they still crack. When ever I build a diff I polish and tune the posi's to cut down on this from happening. I also have them cryo treated for HP applications.

In Jack's case the posi case developed a crack, who knows when, could have been in 1983 when Jack was burning rubber, could have been driving across the country, who knows. The only way you will know is to remove the diff and check it. However I have heard posi's getting ready to break by a clicking sound. I don't know if Jack heard that, I think he said he did when he came in last week but he would know better. My son heard it before his posi case broke in 1/2 on the street. Once the crack reached the cross shaft hole it was over. That is when I think it starts to click as play in the cross shaft and spider pinion gears increases. Then the gears will jam up and lock the posi and break. Jack's locked up and spun into the pinion "milling" it down in a second. Once the case broke it expanded inside the housing and really jammed up. It wrecked the RH axle and bearing and that is why I don't trust the housing. I have seen them break before but they usually shear and become loose parts inside the housing. Then when I open them up the parts fall out. Jack's was just the opposite. It was wedged so tight it was like having a case spreader on it and still wouldn't come out until I torched it out.

Have fun and drive your cars.....

Jack

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Corvette Vagabond's car is 49 years old today!

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tir apr 07, 2015 15:27

I have been fortunate to own the car for 45 of it's 49 years. 46,000 miles on it when I bought it from original owner. Now pushing 300,000 and 4 restorations, visits to 48 states and 15 European countries.

Not bad for an old sports car

Jack

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

Just picked up my rear !

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor apr 09, 2015 01:25

Hi to all,

I made a quick ride to Easton, MA , where a good friend , Ed Johnson owns a home town service and repair shop .

Ed had graciously donated a late seventies corvette differential to my car. It has a 3:70 in it, but I will have that changed (3:36) out by Gary Ramadei, of New Haven , CT , who is going to rebuild and tune it for me.

I will box it up and send it to him this week.

Here are few pictures of Ed and his good friend Bob, (owns a 63) who helped with the transfer. If you ever need mechanical work done just south of Boston, give Ed a call....508-238-9455

Ed & Bob in his shop

Bilde

Here she is .....

Bilde

Bilde

Bilde

Jack Panzica
Corvette-Freak
Corvette-Freak
Kontakt:

A tall fish tail story ! Honey its Friday , fish for dinner

Legg inn av Jack Panzica » tor apr 09, 2015 15:06

I hope you enjoy this photo. This is how these cars were really used 30-50 years ago.

Bilde

Brukeravatar
norway_triumph
Corvette-Newbie
Corvette-Newbie
Sted: akershus
Kontakt:

Re: Hello to the Corvette Club Norway

Legg inn av norway_triumph » lør apr 11, 2015 09:21

c2 mako shark :)

Svar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable